29 September 2011

Ashrafieh and a $A5 movie


Wandered the streets in Ashrafieh, Beirut. During the civil war bombs and rockets wiped out a substantial portion of the areas architectural heritage. Now demolition teams tear down old houses and bulldoze hundred-year-old gardens which are replaced by tall apartment towers. There are no law to protect old homes and preservation is low on the list of things to do for the local politicians.

Went to movies for only $A5. Movie in English and subtiled in Arabic and French makes for a busy screen.

A young mum out with her toddlers, she walks two paces ahead of her two small Filipina maids who struggle to carry her kids and her shopping. Occasionally she turns around to goo at the offspring. Am I getting bent up over the maids? Are they just poor people making a living? Is this exploitation and are the parents setting a bad example for their children?

2 comments:

ngaire Dignan said...

ooo. Thought provoking. Would we be nicer to Philippina maids if we had them? I'd like to think we would. It always seems strange to me that, now that so many women work, we don't embrace live-in (or live out) home help . I think it would help everyone, not least those who are going to countries where they are maltreated.

Gordon said...

Hi Ngaire - maybe I would feel better if the maids were locals. I need someone to explain the whole concept too me.